Sunday 2 September 2012

In my Kitchen, September 2012

After I resumed blogging after a gap of 2 years, one of the first things was to "roam" around the blogosphere to discover what I have been missing. And during such a "trip", I came across this very lovely blog - Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. Celia, who is the proud owner of this blog, does a monthly series - "In my Kitchen". It is amazing to go through this series every month and have a peek into what are the lovely ingredients she has in her kitchen.

I have been regularly reading "In My Kitchen" posts every month, and have been thinking of joining ever since. After spending a weekend clicking photographs, I would like to share a few things in my kitchen this September.

In my Kitchen...
...are a set of Kulhads (traditional handle less terracotta cups). I have got these specifically to serve Phirni which I believe tastes best when eaten straight from an earthenware cup. Hope to blog about it soon.




In my Kitchen...
...are 3 new pickles. My husband is an ardent lover of Indian pickles and loves to pick new flavours from the market. We now have Tenti Dela pickle (fruit of a tropical plant), Jackfruit (gifted to my husband by dear friend R) and Mixed Veg. as you can see that these get consumed fast! These are new additions to an amazing collection of 15+ pickles




In my Kitchen...
...is a box of sweet tamarind which I love (sorry for the bad picture!)



In my Kitchen...
...is a beautiful wooden tray with brocade work. This was a gift from my sister-in-law's family during my brother's wedding.


In my Kitchen...
...is a block print Runner which now adorns my Dining Table (and surprisingly goes well with the tray!)


I hope that next time I will be able to capture much more of what happens in my kitchen every month. So what is happening in your kitchen?

18 comments:

  1. I love that little tray in your kitchen, and the runner is stunning! So pretty. I've not tried a lot of Indian pickles before - just Mango Chutney which is quite common here in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! i love Mango Chutney too. What I loved about the runner and the tray were the traditional Indian motifs.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the IMK community. Love your little pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Hope I am able to contribute more often. Loved your blog!

      Delete
  3. Welcome and thanks for showing us all the goodies in your kitchen! Love your terracotta cups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear MEF
    How are you? I feel good reading your comment at my blog...I am cooking all the things my wife likes. Ha ha. The vacation is too short ..will read missed blogs only> I like this posting , very nice..I eat hell of lot of pickle, even more than my wife eats...
    let me see what all I have missed at your blog..WIll go back to Algeria by the end of this month and will be back by end dec..Insah Allah

    Ushnishda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ushnishda, Am doing fine. Targetting to post atleast once every month if not more :)
      I think all vacations are short - time flies faster than ever! Have a great time at home and cooking!

      Delete
  5. The terracotta cups are so lovely, I am very envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I hunted for them across the city and was finally able to get them at a local Potter.

      Delete
  6. Loved the tray. I am yet to try mother's recipe pacharanga.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chitra. Mother's Recipe has 2 varieties of Pacharanga. I liked the Mango better than Mixed Veg.

      Delete
  7. How wonderful to have you joining in! I love your terracotta pots - I have a real thing for clay and personally think most things taste better in it! The fabric pieces are both very beautiful, and I never knew you could get sweet tamarind - I've only ever tried the really sour version...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia. I do hope I am able to join in regularly.
      Even I did not know about Sweet Tamarind till a couple of months back. In India, I have seen it being sourced from Thailand - so it is not a local produce.
      Completely agree with the food tasting better when cooked / eaten in clay utensils.

      Delete
  8. I love the runner and tray- how beautiful!
    The pickles are new to me- I love traditional dill pickles and would like to try some other kinds.
    And the terracotta pots made me yearn for them. I have been collecting clay objects for cooking and baking and those pots are perfect!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Heidi. I know what you mean about terracotta pots. My mom has some beautiful baking dishes in clay and I have been eyeing them for ages :) To try new pickles - you may want to begin with some mild Indian ones - loke chutneys. They are quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so nice to meet you and to see what is in your kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have got these specifically survival warehouse emergency food to serve Phirni which I believe tastes best when eaten straight from an earthenware cup

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,

    I'm also fond of cooking in claywares. Please let me know where teracotta cooking earthen pots are available in Pune at reasonable rates. Thanks,
    Chidambar

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Your views are welcome!