Saturday 16 May 2009

Summers & Home-made Iced-Tea

May is peak summer time in India. I woke up today – a Saturday, and a day off from work - to see the sun shining brightly as ever. Should I step out and increase my risk of early wrinkles and bad skin, at the cost of getting a few household chores completed? Nah! Of course not. So what if my “weekend to-do list” keeps growing in length. I shall first pamper myself and then think about it. That I should feel guilty about the entire day gone waste is not an issue at all, or atleast not an immediate concern.
Half an hour later, I found myself watching the election news on television. And giving myself a pedicure (that was due for almost a year!). And sipping chilled iced tea.
Iced Tea - that's what I needed to refresh myself...and refresh it did.
Many of my friends prefer the instant iced tea powders available in the market. But I have always preferred home made one. And it really doesnot take much time or effort.
This recipe is thanks to my Dad, who taught it to me when I was 10 (so much for delegation of responsibilities at an early age).


Ingredients (To make 1 glass Lemon iced-tea):
Water: Half glass
Sugar: 2 tsp (or as per taste)
Tea Leaves: 1/2 tsp or 1 Tea Bag
Juice of half a lemon (approx 1 1/2 tsp)
Ice cubes: Lots

Method:
- Add water and sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Sugar can be added at a later stage also, but I find this simpler
- Add the tea leaves to the boiling water, and let it boil for few more seconds
- Remove the pan from heat, and cover it for 2-3 minutes
- Add the lemon juice
- Strain it in a glass and add chilled water and ice cubes. Stir it till the ice is dissolved and the concoction is cooler. At this stage you can refrigerate it, which is preferred if you are not in a hurry like me.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes and enjoy :)

Why I recommend this amazing drink?
- Nothing refreshes you like a glass of ice tea on a hot summer day, especially on a lazy Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Im sure your dad passed on the recipe for more reasons than just training ;)
    I like the way you emphasised the glass stirrer ;) Im sure it helped considerably in cooling the drink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JM. :)
    Yup..you are right, it did help in faster cooling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Your views are welcome!